Commonly linked to Scotland, Tartan appeared in the Highlands around the 16th century, the period in which its inhabitants adopted it for the creation of their traditional woolen dress. The colour for the threads used was obtained from berries and roots. When the threads were crossed in the weave, they generated a distinctive design. The tartan thus became a symbol of cultural belonging and a distinctive sign which went on to be officially registered by the Highland Society in 1805. In 1842, the volume of “Vestiarium Scoticumdei” became the official catalogue of Scottish tartans, while in Victorian times the custom of binding spread the colours of the fabrics to the different families with the so-called Chief's Tartans.
This is where the Fraser Tartan belonging to the Lord Lovat family enters the scene. Made up of the red background with white, green and blue over-checks, it has featured in the Baracuta garments since 1940.
In 1940 the Miller brothers joined the Manchester Golf Club, a historic club frequented by Lords from various counties who wished to combine business and pleasure not far from the city. Assiduous golfers, the brothers begin to design a jacket that would be perfect for the golf course. And so, the Baracuta G9 Model was born: "G" like Golf and "9" like the 9 holes of the course. Their desire was to create outerwear that guaranteed freedom of movement while maintaining the elegance of the outfit during the swing.
Together with the attention paid to details such as the cut of the sleeves, the position and depth of the pockets which were designed to contain at least two golf balls, the Miller brothers also spend a good part of their time in the equally careful search for the fabric to line the G9. They sought a trademark, a feature that would make their product unique. Sooner or later they found it, thanks to Lord Lovat A.K.A. Brigadier Simon Christopher Joseph Fraser, the most elegant Lord of the Manchester Golf Club. The family of Lord Lovat who owned a family Tartan, called “Fraser Tartan”, patented it to the Miller brothers in June 1940, allowing them to use it as an internal lining of their brand new Baracuta G9 model.